Sunday, October 17, 2010

First Class - Lots of Fun!

Today was first class on the Capri 14.2 at Leeway Sailing Center. My teacher's name is Erin, and the class seems like it will be a good time - laid back, but still plenty to learn.

Most the class was spent indoors, orientation to terminology and knots. There was nothing new covered so far that wasn't covered in the books I've been reading, but was nice to get it in person rather than from the page.

Most students are older - I think I'm one of the younger ones there, and the class is split pretty evenly between guys and gals. I'm not sure what everyone's motivations for learning are, but everyone seems nice.

My partner's name is Ed. He's the tallest guy in the class, I'm the shortest. Between the two of us, we did okay in the boat while rigging and practicing our first tacks in the harbor.

I've gotta say that I feel quite alientaed from the boat. I'm a long way from embodying it like one embodies a car, to the point where one's consciousness is distributed through the mechanics being operated. I look forward to a future where I can do without thinking so procedurally. Guessing it will be a while!


***

No comments: