Sunday, October 31, 2010

Jibe Ho!

Today is Halloween, and Erin came dressed up as a mime. I didn't recognize her.

We got to practice our jibes today. No one actually said "jibe ho," but it was fun nonetheless. Ed went first, and by the time it was my turn to practice, the wind had died to nothing. To complicate things, there was a stand up paddleboard race in the harbor, and the announcers were yelling over their PA system for us to get out of the course. Unfortunately, without any wind, it's a bit hard to move the sailboat.

Next week is our last class. I inquired about private lessons, as, while very affordable, I feel like the group classes don't offer as efficient a learning experience as I'd like. One teacher for 15 students is a thin spread, and I'd like to get more detailed feedback on what I'm doing.

In particular... SAIL TRIM. I have a hard time reading the wind and trimming the sails accordingly. I'm afraid maybe I lack the required natural ability here, and hope that's not the case. Regardless, I got Erin's contact information and will try to work something out so that I can get more time with an experienced instructor...


***

No comments: