Sunday, November 7, 2010

Capsize Drills

Today was our last class. We took a written test followed by a knot quiz. It was really straightforward and easy. I'm glad I'll be getting one-on-one time with an instructor going forward.

Ed and I were the first to run through the capsize drill. We had decided before doing it who would be doing what, and we were criticized afterwards, but a new guy at the center, for the way we divided up the labor. Oh well. I slipped while getting in the boat, which was a little embarassing, but more than that, when I was pulling Ed in, after we righted it, I slipped again. This time, I fell flat on my back, with the small of it landing right on the tower where the main sail gets cleated. Had it not been for my life-jacket, it would have hurt like hell. I wince at the thought of it, and am thankful I didn't hurt myself. The experience gave me an idea of how quickly things can go wrong and how careful one has to be while on a boat! I could have broken my back!!

Talked with Erin on the phone afterwards and we're scheduled to have our first class on Monday, November 15. Really looking forward to it.


***

No comments: